This has been in the oven for a while and I know a lot of folks have been waiting for it, to be precise, since November when Google+ announced it was opening its API to a few selected companies, HootSuite included.
Since then, HootSuite had a cap of 200 users but yesterday, they opened it for the rest of world, that means you an me.
This is available for both Pro and Free users.
But I’m not here to spread the news, I’m here to tell you how to set up your Google+ Page on HootSuite. And we are going to do this on a very quick and easy step-by-step mini-tutorial, SocialMouths style.
Before we do that, there are two things you need to know about this, I think they’re both kind of important:
Pages, not Profiles
The first one is just to make it clear that, this is only for Google+ Pages, HootSuite can’t handle personal profiles yet. So this will not work to connect your profile.
The issue with multiple Google accounts
If you are one of those people (like me) that manages multiple Gmail and/or Apps accounts and are forced to constantly sign in and out in order to get some Plus action going, this is great because once you connect the right account to HootSuite, you can just manage it from there.
Alright, let’s move on then to how to configure this puppy…
How To Configure Your Google+ Page Into HootSuite
1) Log in to your HootSuite Dashboard
2) Log in to the correct Google account. In case you have multiple accounts, you will understand this, make sure are connected to the account where you have your Google+
3) On the left panel, click on your profile pic, which will take you to your HootSuite account profile
4) Once you are on your profile, scroll down until you see the section called “My Social Networks”. As you can see, the first row says “Add a Social Network, click on it.
5) That will open a little popup showing you the different option, you should now see Google+, click on it and then click on the “Connect with Google+” button on the right
6) This will open a new popup from Google to connect your accounts, you need to click on “Allow Access”
7) HootSuite will automatically detect your Google+ Page, or Pages in case you handle more than one. Click on the desired page and then “Finished Importing”
Notice that there is an extra option in this step. The checkbox at the bottom of the popup asking if you want HootSuite to automatically create the new tabs for you, make sure you check this box, it will save you the work of creating the tabs yourself
8) Once the popup closes, check back on your social networks, you should see your Google+ Page already added to the menu
9) Close your HootSuite profile and go back to your dashboard, you will now see two things: The icon on top to select the network where you are posting and the Tab, already created for you
10) Let’s test the connection, craft a message and post it to your Page
11) Head over to Google+ and make sure your message has been posted, it should look a little like this. If you notice, your post says “HootSuite” under the name of your page to indicate the tool you are using
That’s it. Painless isn’t it?
Feel free to shoot any questions in the comments below.
And… Happy Friday!