I think it’s about time social networks start paying more attention to WordPress and how they integrate, after all, WordPress powers more than 60 million websites today.
Facebook just released an official Plugin that deepens its integration with WordPress and makes your life (if you’re a blogger) easier.
And that is precisely why we’re here, to explain the features and how they work, in plain English. So let’s dive right into it…
A 2-Way Street
The first thing you need to know is that this plugin is not just designed to bring in Facebook elements into your blog but to act as a 2-way street in how the content and interactions work, making it a cross-platform.
In other words, you can publish WordPress content to your Facebook profile or Page and you can mention people and Pages on your blog.
Page and Post Features
This is the list of the features included in the Plugin:
- Post to an Author’s Facebook Timeline whenever they publish a new WordPress Post or Page.
- Mention friends and Facebook Pages. This posts to their Timelines as well as lists them on the WordPress Post or Page.
- Post all new WordPress Post or Pages to a specified Facebook Page.
- Like, send, and subscribe buttons can be enabled in a click and are fully customizable.
- Facebook Comments, including full SEO support.
- Open Graph Protocol integration.
- Recommendations bar, which allows users to click to start getting recommendations, Like content, and add what they’re reading to Timeline as they go.
Also baked-in the plugin:
- Activity Feed Box. This shows the Facebook user the activity that their friends are doing on your website.
- Recommendations Box. This shows the Facebook user recommendations of pages they should visit based on the actions their friends are taking on your website.
- Like, send, and subscribe buttons.
How to Install
This is a 2-part installation, it requires the usual WordPress Plugin install and then the configuration of a Facebook App. This second one sounds like a complicated task but believe me, you’ll be done in minutes.
Here are the instructions:
- Install Facebook for WordPress either via the WordPress.org plugin directory, or by uploading the plugin to your server.
- Activate the plugin.
- Set up a Facebook app on the Facebook Developer website (you will be able to see the the step-by-step instructions right in your dashboard).
- Once you have setup your app, grab your App ID, App Secret and the App namespace to enter in your plugin configuration back on your WordPress Dashboard (See the following image)
After saving your App configuration, a whole new section called “Post and Page Settings” becomes available. This section presents the different options of Facebook integration you can enable on your blog, as we mentioned before, and the configuration for these items is as simple as selecting the check boxes. It really doesn’t get any easier than that.
This is what I like about the plugin:
- Facebook just made it super easy to integrate all kinds of toys for non-geeky people
- I loved the fact that it goes both ways rather than just going one way (usually world domination)
Did you install it on your blog already? Do you have any questions? Use the comments sections below to share with us.